Gujarat govt. announces to implement minority scholarship schemes

By Muslim Mirror Correspondent,

Narendra-Modi_15Ahmedabad, May 22: Gujarat government has finally announced to implement the pre-matric minority scholarship scheme that was launched by the Congress-led UPA government under its 15-point programme for the welfare of minority communities in 2008.

The announcement was made in forms of advertisements inserted in a Gujarati newspaper by the state government’s social welfare department a few days ago.

The declaration came following the Supreme Court on May 6 declining to stay an order of the Gujarat high court that had held the constitutional validity of the scheme.

The scheme is meant for poor students belonging to five religious minority communities-Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists and Parsis.

Each student whose parents income is annually Rs. 1 lakh or less, is entitled to get Rs. 850 per annum under the scheme. While 75 per cent of it is contributed by the central government, the remaining 25 per cent is to be met by the state government.

But Narendra Modi government of the Bharatiya Janata Party opposed the scheme saying that it discriminated against students of other religious communities and hence, it was unconstitutional. But a five-judge bench of the high court on February 15, 2013, ordered to implement the scheme saying the scheme was not unconstitutional. The order was given on a public interest petition filed by a Muslim social activist and Congress party leader Adam Chaki.

The state government subsequently moved the Supreme Court, challenging the high court order. The apex court on May 6, 2013, admitted the appeal, it refused to stay the HC order.

Commenting on the state government’s move to implement it now, Chaki said that the government was bound to implement as the apex court had not granted stay on high court order and non-implementation would have attracted action under contempt of court proceedings. Modi government is already facing cases against its police officials for extra-judicial killing of Muslims post-2002.  While one of its former ministers Maya Kodnani is serving 28 years of sentence in a case of mass massacre of Muslims in 2002, another former minister Amit Shah is on bail in fake encounter case of Sohrabuddin Sheikh.

Commenting on it, human rights activist J S Bandukwala said that it was unfortunate that the state government had to wait for court order to implement scholarship for poor minority students. This, he said, indicated the biased mindset of the state government against minorities.




Subscribe to Comments RSS Feed in this post

9 Responses

  1. How to muslim minorty studnt gt scholrshp…

  2. gujrat ke kutch district anjar taluka me koi bank minority student ke account khol nahi rahe

  3. Gujarat,Ahmedabad My school name is Vedant international educational campus ..yesterday i asked to my principle about this minority but in our school they are not giving like this type of scholarship..plzz help me !!!

  4. WHY GOVT. IS NOT GIVE TO SCHOLARSHIP TO MUSLIM STUDENT…?? ESPECIALLY GUJARAT GOVT.

  5. It is very difficult for Bjp govt. to provide scholarships to minorities. Because The ideology of RSS is based on service to majority and the minorities like sc st bc are slaves and do all such jobs as scavengers and drainage flushers. Because muslims preach the people the dignity of human beings they cry in lanes “Are dekh lo re isko bhyya”. Muslims are a big obstacle to impose varana ashram in India. So first of all they want toerase Islam. Then how can they allow muslims to prosper either econmically or literally.

  6. regishter ka sa kare.puri detial ma.

  7. why should muslim student do not get scholarship. me aage MCA karna chahata hu but meri family afford nahi kar paa rahi he. mujhe aage padhna he so plz help kijye

  8. i want scholarship for education in Degree engineering How can i get scholarship ? pl give me guideline for that.

  9. I study in Madhya pradesh, swami vivekanand university, saga. M. P, btech meach 3 year, but I am from Gujarat PANCHMAHAL district, how can I get scholarship from. Gujarat plzzzz help me

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*