By Muslim Mirror Staff
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday stayed the search warrant issued against advocate Mehmood Pracha, who is fighting cases of several victims of the anti-Muslim pogrom witnessed in the national capital last year.
The development comes a day after a team of Delhi Police went to Pracha’s office but returned as the premises was locked.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate at the Patiala House Court Pankaj Sharma said that he will pass an order on Pracha’s application on March 12. The court also directed the investigating officer in the matter to produce the case diary, Live Law reported.
In the application, he said the Delhi Police’s demand to take away the hard disks of his computers were “completely illegal and unjustified”. The advocate said the documents that the authorities have asked for were “already in their possession from the previous exercise”.
Pracha’s office was raided in December 2020 too.
The police had obtained search warrants in connection with the alleged use of forged documents in judicial records in a Northeast Delhi riots case. However, Pracha claimed that the case against him is “completely baseless” and has been instituted with the sole objective of “hounding” him at the behest of and as “a part of a conspiracy involving senior politicians, bureaucrats and even judicial officers”.
Speaking to Al Jazeera after the December raid, he had alleged that the search was carried out at the behest of Minister of Home Affairs Amit Shah.