New Delhi : The National Investigation Agency (NIA) Thursday informed the Delhi High Court that it has agreed to pass on the responsibility of investigating the role of two suspected Indian Mujaheddin operative, arrested for allegedly conspiring to carry out terror strikes in the capital, to Delhi Police’s Special Cell of Delhi police.
The NIA asked Justice V.P. Vaish to “discharge” it from the case.
“It is between two agencies (NIA and Special Cell) and we have resolved the issue. Delhi Police will continue with the investigation, not the NIA,” counsel appearing for NIA told the court.
The court had earlier pulled up both the agencies on last hearing after it was given two contradictory versions by the NIA and the Delhi Police’s special cell on who would continue with investigation in the case.
It had summoned the union home secretary and asked him to appear in person Wednesday before the court to clear the stand. However, a day before, it exempted the home secretary from personal appearance.
The NIA director general and the special commissioner of Delhi Police appeared in the court to clear their stand on the issue.
The NIA had claimed that they registered the case as per the order of the home ministry. It said the Delhi Police was not handling over the case files despite an order by the home ministry.
However, the Delhi Police special cell said it had lodged the case against the IM operatives in 2012 allegedly conspiracy to carry out terror strikes here by the Pune module of the banned terror outfit. It said it had already filed a charge sheet against the accused.
The court had censured both the agencies, which are under the direct control of the home ministry, saying that a “lot of precious time of this court has been wasted,” due to their conduct and summoned the home secretary.